Basic school supply list for the 2016-17 school year
Success through lifelong learning in a spirit of teamwork and high expectations.
The Gavit community empowers students to achieve success in all curricular areas through the development of literacy and problem solving skills that will enhance their daily lives.
- We believe that the purpose of schools is to prepare students to become productive members of society.
- We believe that teachers should serve as facilitators by providing the opportunity and environment for learning and by serving as enthusiastic leaders and positive role models.
- We believe that students need to be responsible and accountable for their own learning.
- We believe in order to maximize student success; all members of the Gavit community (parents, students, teachers and community leaders) must be active participants in the learning process.
- We believe the school should provide a positive, safe, enriching environment where all parties feel accepted and respected.
- We believe that in order to help create a sense of pride, the school’s physical facilities should be clean, comfortable and in working order.
- We believe all members of the school community should be treated with respect, dignity, and without discrimination in order to foster a positive and trustful environment.
- We believe that a vertical and horizontal alignment of curriculum is critical to the appropriate placement of students in the educational setting.
- We believe that curriculum, instruction, and assessment must be aligned, as well as focus on students, be relevant, be flexible and take into account student diversity, and address both content area and life/social skills.
- We believe in order for students to become productive members of society, rules must be fair and consistently enforced by everyone in the school setting.
- We believe that in order to prepare students for the future, all Gavit students need equal access to all available technology.
- We believe that technology is a valuable tool to enhance student learning when integrated appropriately into the educational setting.
- We believe students should be afforded high teacher expectations.
- We believe our staff needs to be continually updated on practices and methodologies as they apply to our culturally changing and diverse population.
- We believe hiring practices should allow the staff to reflect the nature and diversity of the school’s population.